A COMMITMENT TO CHARITABLE AND CIVIC CAUSES
Alan believes that a lawyer has a responsibility to serve not only his or her clients, but also the larger community. This belief has fueled his many involvements in charitable and civic endeavors, which have included the following:
- From 1992 to 1996, Alan was a Jewish Big Brother to the son of a single mother. From 1996 to 2005 he served on the Board of Directors of the Jewish Big Brother & Big Sister Association of Greater Boston.
- Alan presently serves on the Board of Trustees of Temple Beth Elohim, and co-founded its brotherhood as well as the softball team that plays in the Men’s Shul Softball League (MSSL).
- Alanis on the board of directors of Bet Tzedek, an agency within Jewish Family & Childrens Service that provides free legal assistance to low-income individuals and families, regardless of religious affiliation.
- Alan and his wife, Judi, a lymphoma patient, have raised in excess of $25,000.00 in each of the last four years for the Lymphoma Research Foundation, which funds research into novel therapies for lymphoma and other blood cancers.
- Since 1998, Alan has been a member of Needham ‘s Town Meeting and is often quoted in the Boston Globe and Needham Times on issues of local concern.