Is there anything I need to do prior to suing my former employer for unpaid salary or commissions?

Attorney Answer: Yes.    Under applicable law,  you cannot sue your employer unless you first file a “Non-Payment of Wages Form” with the Massachusetts Attorney General’s office.     That office will typically issue you a “right to sue” letter, which will then allow you to sue your employer.     You can also make a written request of the Attorney General to sue on your behalf;  if 90 days expires without any action by the AG,  you may then bring suit.

Super Lawyers