My condo was damaged due to a fire in neighbor’s unit.

Additional Information:

I live in a Condo in Newton and my unit has been damaged by water due to fire in our neighbor’s unit. I received an estimate from the Association’s Insurance company and am not satisfied with the estimate since it does not provide adequate compensation to cover expenses for necessary repairs.  What should I do to get better settlements?


The following options would be available to you:  (a) you can obtain your own estimate (though it should come from a highly reputable contractor, preferably one who has done work for insurance companies) ;  (b) you could hire a “public adjuster” (a claims rep who would represent your interests but who would probably charge 10 percent of the payment as his/her fee, so perhaps only worth it if there’s a great deal of damage);  or (c) you could hire an attorney on an hourly basis (this would be in conjunction with option (a). 

Attorney Alan Fanger is a Massachusetts real estate litigation lawyer and professional malpractice attorney. He serves the entire Greater Boston and Boston metrowest region including Norfolk County, Suffolk County, Middlesex County and the communities of Arlington, Boston, Braintree, Brookline, Cambridge, Canton, Concord, Dedham, Dover, Framingham, Lexington, Milton, Natick, Needham, Newton, Norwood, Quincy, Sherborn, Sudbury, Waltham, Wayland, Wellesley, and Weston, Massachusetts.

Super Lawyers